We’ve had some pretty good weather this week, so I decided to take advantage of the bits of sun – but more importantly, the no rain! We have some pretty ugly hanging trellises in our little courtyard. They’ve been there since we’ve moved in and are a bit of an eye sore – alternating blue and red along the wall. My plan was last year to have the ivy grow up over them and cover them, though I think I was a little optimistic in the speed of growing! So since it’s taking longer, they need to be painted so I don’t have to stare at the ugly colours anymore!
My original idea was to unscrew them from the wall, slap a coat of spray paint on there, let it dry for a few hours and re-attach to the wall (can you tell I’m new this DIY thing -assuming everything will go easy and straightforward!).
Firstly, the screws are too weathered, and screwed in by the hand of God apparently, so I couldn’t get those babies to budge. So I needed to paint them on the walls without over the walls in paint. I put rubbish bags behind the trellis – problem solved.
Problem Two, the wood is far to porous and needs a base coat…or 4. Problem Three arising from this problem, stores around here didn’t have a spray paint primer of any sort. Back to tin and brush and pain staking job of painting all the little criss-crosses individually.
So almost a week later I’ve got 3/5 basically covered, another one has most of the first coat and one I haven’t touched yet. I expected a job to take a few hours…almost a week later and not done (noting that I haven’t worked on it for hours each day). I’m hoping for just one more nice day and I SHOULD (fingers crossed) be able to finish it off.
Now I’m just having to decide what colour I want them to be. I have an “Antique White” spray paint that I thought I was going to top coat them with, but I’m not sure if it looks a little too yellowy and if I don’t just prefer the white. Hm, decisions, decisions.
I have some pretty exciting ideas for some lighting that I can’t wait to make happen..but it will probably be in a few weeks. Gotta figure out the logistics of it!